Thursday, August 28, 2014

WHAT!? Iditarod?!

As we head into the 2014-15 racing season, there is a lot going on this year. Entering the Iditarod was a surprise for many, including myself! Initially, the thought of running Iditarod was completely overwhelming. Talk about sticker shock! $3000 just to enter is enough to make anyone's jaw drop to the floor. Within 24 hours of Darrin saying, "I think you should run Iditarod," it all just seem to come together. Fate was letting me know, that yes, you really should tackle this 1000 mile beast this year.
 
There's no way that I would be able to do this without the amazing support of the most amazing husband in the world! Darrin is always there. ALWAYS. I know that I can count on him for anything and everything. His dedication to the dogs and to our family is an inspiration. I am proud to have him by my side. 

Then there's the Kid. She spent this past year in Italy. This year she is a senior in high school, a very important year indeed. I was extremely hesitant about signing up for Iditarod without talking with her first. When a member of the family runs a 1000 mile race, everyone in the family runs the 1000 mile race. I sent the Kid a message, "Hey, what are your thoughts on me running Irod this year?"  She sent back, "I call tag sled!" I guess she was on board. 

It's a family thing, this running dogs. It's our way of life. It's what we do. 

I want to introduce some new KMA Kennel family members for the 2014-15 racing season.

Meet the Family:

About a week after Iditarod sign-ups, Darrin and I were talking on the phone about who all had signed up. Conversation wove between racing we had done in the past, training that was currently going on and what we should do this up coming racing season. Communicating from Skagway was challenging at times. Often we would be cut off and wouldn't be able to call or text again until the next night, or even later. This was one of those nights. I had said on numerous occasions that I thought the team needed to race harder than last year. We had talked about different races and what races I could race while teaching. The plan was, well still is, to run the Yukon Quest in 2016. As we talked about what the team should do, Darrin said, "I think you should run Iditarod." Then ((BEEP))...we were cut off. I hit redial no less than a thousand times. Nothing. I tried texting and got the same results...nothing would send. Ugh! I was thinking to myself, "Did Darrin just say I should run Iditarod!?"
The next morning I tried calling and texting with no luck. My mind was just a flurry of activity. "Run Iditarod? That has never been the plan."  After trying to get through to Darrin with no luck, it was time for work. I hopped on my bike and wove through the streets of Skagway as the sun was shining down on me.
Me, "Dawson Dolly" and Billie getting ready to head out on a Float. Skagway float Tours is our sister company.
This summer I was given the most amazing opportunity to share about Alaska with hundreds of people from all around the globe. In many instances, sharing went both ways. Working for Frontier Excursions & Adventures out of Skagway has been a dream.

On this day, instead of going out for a long tour, I had an "office" day. The streets of Skagway were hustling with throngs of people off the ships docked just a stones throw away.  I parked my bike in the bike rack and made my way through the crowds of people and walked into the office located in the historic Golden North Hotel on 3rd and Broadway. Cris, my amazing boss, was in the office chatting with some guests getting ready to go out on tour. After they left, we walked outside to enjoy the sunshine. I must have looked somewhat distracted as Cris asked me if I was alright and if everything was ok. 

I looked at him and said, "I think I am going to run Iditarod." 

Next thing I know I was wrapped up in a HUGE bear hug, feet dangling off the ground. 

And thus the journey of a thousand miles began. 

Working for Cris and Katie this summer was like working for family. They are such amazing peole with hearts of gold. (And they have the cutest kiddo too!) When Cris said that they'd like to sponsor my entry fee for Iditarod, I about tipped over. I had all I could do to put two words together to answer. 
Frontier Excursions offers a variety of high quality tours.
I cannot possibly say enough about my "Frontier Family". I have worked for lots of different tour companies in Alaska, and have done lots of different kinds of tours. Working for Frontier has been unlike any other company. 
Cris and a guest getting ready to go on tour on a sunny Skagway day.
The guests that come on tour with us are second to none. They become like family after the tour. We share lots of laughs, stories about our families, and even pictures. I have received emails from many of the folks that came on tour with me this summer. Each one sharing pics of us together from the tour, stories of the rest of their holiday and thanking us for being fun. 

It is always such a privilege to share a day with folks from all around the world. These folks take a day out of their holiday to Alaska and spend it with us traveling up to the Yukon. 

If you're going to be in Skagway, or know someone who is, be sure to look us up. http://www.frontierexcursions.com/
A super fun family from Massachusetts that I had the privilege of taking to the top of Mt Jubilee, just outside of Tagish, Yukon Territory. It was a day to remember, for all of us. Tears were shed, hearts were warmed, and friendships were made. 
Funny things happen when you're in Nome. One minute your talking with a friend about tours that he does in the summer, the next minute you're saying, "Heck yeah! It would be a BLAST to visit and share stories with a caravan of RVers when you come through Skagway."

I have known Spike for a few years. Our meetings always happen around Iditarod time. Spike loves mushing and loves supporting mushers. We spent quite a bit of time together in Nome this past March, waiting for mushers to blow in off the ice.

It was in the course of these conversations that Spike tossed out the idea about me chatting and sharing about life as a rural teacher with his guests that he has during his RV tours. His group makes a nice long stop in Skagway. This allows time for folks to see Skagway, take a ferry to Juneau for the day if they desire, and take a tour or two offered in town. It was so much fun doing a Q&A with this merry band of RVers.
Spike (in the yellow coat next to me) and I during his final visit in Skagway for the summer.
Spike is the Wagon Master at Alaskan Discovery RV Tours. He has three tours a summer, each about a month long. These tours go through some amazing country and folks get to experience things that only a guy like Spike can show them.
Sharing stories at the Pullen Creek RV Park in Skagway with Spike and his merry RVers
KMA Kennel is excited to have Alaska Discovery RV Tours on board as sponsors for the 2014-15 racing season! Looking forward to being greeted by Spike in Nome!


We have been using Howling Dog Alaska products for years. When Ivana said that HDA would like to join forces with KMA Kennel, we were through the "WOOF" excited! Howling Dog Alaska has always been easy to work with when ordering gear. Ivana is also extremely receptive and open to ideas on harness designs and changes. Gear made for mushers by a musher.
The Tough Skin harness is a nice light weight harness that fits like a glove on a couple of dogs that have. It had been difficult to find a harness that would fit them properly due to their gates.
Scooter, the side-winder, loves her Tough Skin Harness. Here she is modeling it while out on training run.
This past racing season we used the Light Weight Harness They received a good test as we raced in the Solstice 100, Copper Basin 300, Yukon Quest 300, Tolsona 50/50 and the Kobuk 440. The closed cell padding extends along the harness's entire length. This, combined with the great breast plate design, proved to be a great combo as we had hardly any harness rubbing or chaffing along the dogs sides. There are as many harness designs as there are dogs it seems. We are fortunate to have "found" Howling Dog Alaska. Their harnesses are durable and comfortable for our dogs. Customer service and receiving our goods have never been an issue. Living up here in the willy-whacks of Alaska, that really matters.

We are honored to be representing Howling Dog Alaska as we go into this racing season.
Leaders, Mystic & Siscu (grey dog),  sporting their HDA Light Weight Harnesses at the start of the Copper Basin 300
KMA Kennel would like to thank everyone for believing in the dogs, and in us. We are excited to be entered in the 2015 Iditarod Sled Dog Race.

If you'd like to join our little family, or want more info on who we are and what we are about, check out our website and Facebook page. You can also email me at kmakennel42@gmail.com.

















No comments:

Post a Comment